In keeping with its mission to provide access to books and other materials to the citizens of New Milford for the purpose of enriching their lives, the New Milford Public Library offers delivery and pickup of library materials to homebound New Milford residents. The library is pleased to partner with the New Milford Senior Center, whose volunteers will provide the delivery and pick-up services. Materials include but are not limited to books, magazines, DVDs CDs, audiobooks, and puzzles.
- “Homebound” is defined as someone who, because of a physical or mental disability, is unable to visit the Library, and does not have someone who can pick up/deliver materials to them on a regular basis. The inability to use the library in person may be of a permanent or temporary nature. People with a short term need for homebound library service will be eligible for consideration.
- In order to participate, patrons must be a resident of New Milford and must fill out the library Application for Homebound Services.
- Patrons applying for Homebound Service must have a New Milford library card in good standing. Those who do not have a library card at the time of application may request a library card application to be filled out at the first delivery.
- Residents who complete the Application for Homebound Services, and who meet one or more of the following criteria will be considered for the homebound delivery service. Eligibility requirements include, but may not be limited to:
- A long- or short-term illness
2. Being unable to visit the Library on one’s own due to a physical or mental disability, and/or
3. Being a senior citizen who does not drive and is recommended for eligibility by the New Milford Senior Citizens Director or the New Milford Social Services Director
- Eligibility will be determined by the library.
- Delivery and pick-up of materials will be scheduled by the New Milford Senior Center Transportation service as staffing permits, but at least once a month. Delivery of materials will be made only if the environment is safe for both the volunteer and the materials. Materials that are due back to the library must be picked up at the time of the next delivery. If items need to be renewed, call the library at 860-355-1191 and speak to the Circulation staff.
- There will be no late fees or fines incurred on materials checked out through the Homebound program. Unfortunately, if items are damaged, this may incur a fine.
- Any items may be borrowed by our homebound patrons. However, on occasion we may temporarily prohibit circulation of high interest items due to their normally shorter checkout length. Only items owned by the New Milford Public Library are eligible for checkout through Homebound Services.
- An individual may terminate Homebound Service at any time by contacting the Circulation Desk at 860-355-1191.
- The library reserves the right to suspend or discontinue Homebound Service to any individual if it is determined that the individual fails to meet the eligibility requirements or if the service is being abused in any way. The library reserves the right to amend, modify, add or delete any of the terms of this service without prior notice. Any homebound patron may request in writing that the suspension of service be reviewed by the Board of Trustees at the next regular monthly Board meeting.
Approved by Library Board of Trustees on April 20, 2022