New Milford Public Library
Art Gallery Exhibit Policy
The New Milford Public Library makes gallery space available to local artists in order to display their artwork. Displays are intended to complement the New Milford Public Library’s educational mission and to enhance the public’s experience in the library. The art exhibit is located on the 2nd floor next to the elevator. The space consists of wall space and a stand up display unit.
Any area artists will be considered to exhibit their work at the Library. Artists wishing to be considered may call the Library at (860)355-1191 to arrange slide, photo, or portfolio drop–off.
Selection of an artist does not imply endorsement by the New Milford Public Library.
Procedures for Artists
- Artists must provide one or two photographs, slides, or actual samples of their artwork to the Library Director and/or staff volunteers designated by the Director for review.
- The Library Director and/or staff volunteers designated by the Director are responsible for selecting artists who will exhibit and for scheduling set–up and take–down dates.
- All artwork must be delivered at the scheduled time and date. The artist is responsible for determining the arrangement of the work in conjunction with Town employees who will assist in the hanging of the work.
- Artists must provide a list of titles of works on the New Milford Public Library Agreement Form. The Library will assign each work a number corresponding to the number on the agreement form.
- Artwork must be delivered framed, wired, and ready to hang. Wires need to be held with eye screws. No artwork will be accepted with cracked or broken glass.
- Exhibit information (press package) must be delivered to the Library a month prior to the beginning date so that the Library can submit publicity to the appropriate sources. The package must include: an artist biography/statement and a black and white or color photograph of a representative piece from the upcoming show.
- On delivery day, the Library Director and/or staff volunteers designated by the Director may choose to reject any piece deemed inappropriate due to subject matter, content, or lack of wall/display space.
- No prices may be posted on items on display, nor may an admission fee be charged. No transaction for the purchase or sale of display items may be done on the premises. The Library assumes no responsibility for the preservation, protection, damage, or theft of any item displayed. Damages to the premises, equipment, or furnishings as a result of exhibitor use will be charged to the individual or group responsible.
- The artist’s biography will be posted alongside the show. Artists may provide contact information.
- The exhibit will be for a period of 1 month.
- The New Milford Public Library will be responsible for taking down all artwork in conjunction with Town employees on the scheduled takedown day. Artists must be present during the takedown and should arrange for pick–up of their works on the day and time scheduled.
- Artists are to submit in writing a list of all pieces to be displayed and the estimated value of those works prior to the exhibition. Collection or individual pieces valued at more than $100,000 must be submitted in writing to the Director prior to acceptance of the exhibit and for town approval of additional coverage.
- Artists must sign and date the attached “Hold Harmless and Indemnity Agreement.”
Approved by the Library Board of Trustees on May 17, 2023
HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT